May 10, 2012

Avateur Chef's First Anniversary and Lunch in Negril

On April 22, 2011... a hesitant, self-conscious, fumbling home cook and food blog lover decided to chronicle her own cooking episodes. Thus, The Avateur Chef was created. So named as a play on her amateur efforts in the kitchen and her unusually tall stature (like the Na'vi from the movie, Avatar... get it now?).

Those who follow the blog will know that I wasn't always a food lover. I was a finicky child and a picky eater... averse to trying new things. That all changed when I moved abroad for college, got my own kitchen, and attempted to recreate the few things I would eat from back home (Jamaica). It was in that tiny campus kitchen that I discovered I enjoyed cooking. The newfound desire to create dishes forced me to experiment with flavours and foods that were new to me, and I found myself becoming more adventurous (with food, anyway... baby steps.)

It's been over 6 years (and about 20 pounds *sigh*) since I discovered my love for food and cooking, and to this day I'm still learning and trying new things, and sharing the experiences here on The Avateur Chef.

Today though, I'm getting out of the kitchen for a little field trip to Negril. Some friends and I went to try the food at The PushCart Restaurant at The Rockhouse Hotel. The menu at Pushcart is inspired by Jamaican street food, and the restaurant boasts spectacular views of the beach and the gorgeous hotel nextdoor. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the food, and after stuffing ourselves we ventured to Rick's Cafe, a famous spot for cliff-jumping and viewing of the sunset.

Thanks to all you readers for stopping by and for sharing your feedback with me over the past year, I was so nervous about starting this blog that I only told a handful of people about it. I genuinely appreciate all the words of support and encouragement and hope to be sharing many more kitchen adventures with you :)

Here are some photos from my road trip to Negril. I'm still working on my photography skills... I think they've improved, right??

A view of Rockhouse Hotel from the Pushcart restaurant
Enjoying a Red Stripe while waiting for the food.
Ackee Patties - Ackee sauteed with peppers and onions and baked in a flaky pastry.
Jerk Fish Salad - Fresh snapper fillet rubbed with jerk and grilled. Served on top of local greens tossed
with tomatoes, sweet peppers and cucumber slices
Seafood Fritters - Conch, snapper, squid and shrimp folded into a batter and pan fried. Served with spicy relish.

Curry Conch - Fresh conch tenderized then cooked slowly in West Indian Curry with root vegetables.
Served with steamed rice and steamed vegetables.

Steamed Fish - Whole fish steamed with local vegetables, served with bammy and water crackers.


Perfect end to a fabulous day

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your one year blog anniversary! Awesome! The food and photos look amazing.

    ReplyDelete