January 20, 2012

An Avateur Attempt at "Bitchin'" Potato Croquettes

I know, I know. It has been 6 months. The Blogger website underwent a face lift, and I feel like a fish out of water. But I'm back. Entrance exams and applications took over my life for a bit, but I'm back.

While watching Bitchin' Kitchen the other night, inspiration struck. Nadia G. made Potato Croquettes as a side dish for a succulent filet mignon. And although there was this mouthwatering, juicy, tender piece of steak sitting on the plate... I couldn't help but long after the croquettes sitting next to it. And I thought about them ALL DAY. If you've read this blog before then you would have come to realise that I am powerless to my cravings. So here I am.. waiting for my potato mixture to cool so that I can form my croquettes and fry them up. I don't even know what I'm having them with yet... No, really.

To start: dice the potatoes, mince the garlic, and chop or slice the seasonings you are using. I had onions and parsley on hand, but Nadia used green onions in the original recipe. Boil the potatoes and saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until softened. You will notice I haven't peeled my potatoes, feel free to peel yours if you so desire.
Once the potatoes have boiled, drain them and combine with the sauteed onions and garlic, herbs, spices and parmesan. Then mash until the mixture is smooth. I added crushed red pepper instead of ground black pepper; and a touch of paprika for colour. I also added a pat of butter to help the mashing along, but that may have caused a problem... read on.
Chill the potato mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the breading station. Beat an egg and lay out some seasoned breadcrumbs. In the episode, Nadia makes fun of panko.. but that's exactly what I am using. I'm a texture junkie, and I really love the crunch. I have yet to find pre-seasoned panko, which is why I add the spices directly to my mashed potatoes. All I added to the panko here is some dried parsley. Form the chilled mixture into the croquettes, dip them in the beaten egg, and them roll them in the breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until golden brown

Here's where I goofed: either my oil wasn't hot enough and the cooking time was too long, or the butter/extra cheese I added (couldn't help it!) made the mixture too creamy... but while I was frying my croquettes I noticed they started to.. MELT?? It wasn't drastic, and obviously they still came out in the right shape.. but they aren't actually perfect cylinders. The tops and bottoms are almost flat, and the sides rounded. When I make this again I'll try without the butter (it didn't call for any in the recipe) and see if that's what caused the problem. Otherwise, the croquettes were delicious. And yes, I ate them by themselves.
 Parmesan Potato Croquettes - from Nadia G's "Bitchin' Kitchen"
content from Cooking Channel 

  • 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 3 green onions, finely sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmiggiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Olive oil, for pan frying

To make the Parmesan Potato Croquettes: Boil the potatoes in enough salt water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain. Saute the green onions and garlic in extra-virgin olive oil for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent and garlic is golden. In a big bowl, combine the onion and garlic mixture with the boiled potatoes. Add Parmesan cheese, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and mash together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Pour enough olive oil to come 1/4-inch up the side of a heavy fry pan and heat to 375 degrees F. Roll the chilled potato mixture into finger shapes. Dip the fingers in the beaten egg, then coat them in Italian-seasoned bread crumbs. Fry the croquettes in the hot oil for 30 seconds, until all sides are equally crispy and golden.

2 comments: