May 09, 2011

Pancake-Battered Onion Rings

For those who are reading the blog for the first time, let me quickly introduce my 'cooking style' (whatever that means)

  • I keep a well-stocked pantry because I hate having to go shopping whenever I want to make something
  • I often find shortcuts to get the finished product I want.                                                                    (Mind you, there are days when I am in the mood to be in the kitchen for hours and make everything from scratch; after 8 hours on my feet at work, weeknights just don't fall into that category.)
  • I cook based on my cravings. Which are very erratic and, quite frankly, don't make much sense half the time. 
  • I improvise in recipes ALL the time. Sometimes because recipes call for ingredients not available in my area, but mostly because I don't want to go out just for that one thing.
  • I never make anything the same way twice; again, what's in the pantry/fridge goes into the dish.
Now that we're acquainted, welcome to the blog! :)

Last week after a particularly tiring day at work, I drove home with onion rings on the brain. I seriously contemplated driving through a fast food place just to pick some up, but guilt (and frugality) dismissed the idea. After all, I had huge onions at home (described as jumbo at the grocery store, they're pretty colossal) and could easily make my own. Once I walked through the door and sat on the couch however, preparing  onion rings seemed like the most daunting task ever. I'd have to soak them in buttermilk (which I would have to make by souring milk with vinegar; I can't find buttermilk here) then prepare the batter, coat them and fry them up.

OK, so it really doesn't sound so bad when I say it now... but at the time it was just too much. :|

Then, a beacon of hope. The packages of instant buttermilk pancake mix that I have on the top self of my pantry caught my eye. Buttermilk.. batter.. who says they could only be used for hurried breakfasts on weekday mornings?

So yes, beer-battered onion rings are great. But I was making pancake-battered onion rings.

First I sliced up the onion into rings, separated them, and dusted them with flour. I use whole wheat flour at home.

I mixed the packet of instant pancake mix with water until it was combined but thicker than the typical pancake batter. I added a touch of paprika and salt to balance out the sweetness of the batter.

Deep fried the coated onion rings.

Drained the onion rings on paper towels, and sprinkled with a little sea salt. (Some look a bit burnt, but it's the picture. I'm still working on my food photography 'skills')


Onion Rings on FoodistaOnion Rings

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I should try this after I make pancakes with my son. Great tip!I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this onion rings widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for onion rings,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love onion rings and it's been a a while since I ate it .. and i never actually made it at home.. so I guess it's time!
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these look really good - and i'm sure they taste good too! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diva Holloway of Pensacola Fl, I am going to try this today for the holiday weekend.. I hope this turns out well. Thank you for this info...

    ReplyDelete