May 03, 2011

It's Cinco de Mayo - Throw a Taco Party!

Cinco de Mayo is one of my favourite holidays to celebrate because I welcome any excuse to stuff my face with yummy Mexican food. Love it. And let's be honest - the Corona... and the Tequila.

If that doesn't sound like a party.. I dunno what does.

In my opinion, one of the best entertaining ideas is to prepare a spread of ingredients and have the guests build their own meal. Everyone gets to control what goes on their plate, all the different preferences are catered to, and it is very low maintenance for the host. Perfect for one that wants to participate in the party rather than spend the whole time fussing over the guests.

So for Cinco de Mayo, the ideal dish for a hands-free party is a Taco Bar.

One of the Blogs on my "Food Blogs I LOVE" list had a post last week detailing a Taco Party that she threw for her friends. I thought it would be a great idea to share with Cinco de Mayo being just around the corner; invite over some friends, prepare the spread, and enjoy the night!

I asked Roxy from Relaxing with Roxy to write a guest post on how she went about preparing her taco party.

Roxy:

I love tacos, but the closest taco restaurant I know of is 4 hours from where I live. My friend who recently moved nearby had a taco craving the other day. Since we can't readily get any, we decided to make them ourselves, invite some friends over, and have a taco party. yay!! fun! fun! fun! :).

We bought prepared taco shells, both hard and soft. Along with sour cream, iceburg lettuce, and shredded Mexican Cheese blend.
We made our own salsa by chopping fresh tomatoes and onions, and combining them with minced garlic. Half the mixture was placed in the blender on low speed for a couple seconds and then folded back into the chopped tomato mixture so it had a chunky texture.

For the taco meat, we browned minced beef and then added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato paste. We then added a pinch each of: paprika, oregano, parsley, basil, crushed red pepper, sugar and salt, and simmered the mixture for about 15 minutes.

This was my first time making helping to make tacos (I must give my friend most of the credit and take the rest for myself because dicing up tomatoes and onions is no easy task...ha ha) and I cant wait to make them again!

Taco bar with taco meat, iceburg lettuce, salsa, shredded cheddar and jack cheese, sour cream and taco shells.

Beef taco topped with lettuce, salsa, cheese and sour cream

Your guests will love it!



Taco on FoodistaTaco

6 comments:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tacos. Yummy! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know about such party. I am planning to organize a Christmas party this year at one of the gorgeous venue NYC. Thinking to have some additional lighting so that Christmas decorations are highlighted and venue looks more attractive.

    ReplyDelete